Hi, guys it seems like you’re looking to host a website your own mini website for free. Yes, it’s true you can host your small website like your blog, portfolio or a mini college project right from your pc throughout the world with paying any single penny to hosting providers.
In this tutorial I’ll show you how you can setup a local server on your own windows system using a free software. After that I’ll let you know How you can make this server host your website worldwide. However, I would NOT recommend this for hosting big websites such as of an organisation, eCommerce site or a website that you expect to grow and get a lots of traffic. In order to do that you’ve to invest more time and money to have better hardware and software to keep you up all time.
This tutorial is for Windows user running any version of Windows.
Installing WAMP Server
First of all download the wamp server for your system like 32 bit or 64 bit from the following link :
- Double click on the downloaded file and just follow the instructions. Everything is automatic. The WampServer package is delivered with the latest releases of Apache, MySQL and PHP.
- Once WampServer is installed, you can manually add aditionals Apache, Php or MySql (only VC9, VC10 and VC11 compiled) versions. Explanations will be provided on the official forum.
Using WAMP Server
Once you’ve downloaded and installed your copy of Wamp Server on your system, consider the following things –
- The “www” directory will be automatically created (usually c:\wamp\www)
- WWW directory is usually where you all your project, website files to be accessed by the server. You can php scripts by putting them here. As PHP is server-scripting language.
- WAMP is usually located in the notification area of your windows. After each system start-up you’ve to start WAMP server from all Programs in Start Button in your windows.
- If you’re getting a green coloured logo as shown in snapshot here it means your WAMP server is running properly with no issues otherwise it not working properly and if the icon is missing your sever is not running at all.
- Click on the “localhost” link in the WampSever menu or open your internet browser and go to the URL : http://localhost. If your WAMP server is running properly. You’ll the following output in your browser –
Upto this point you’ve learnt how you can setup a localhost on your system and run websites through it. If you’re developing testing sites you can start now. WAMP is pre-loaded with most famous application to manage your databases i.e phpmyadmin which you can access using http://localhost/phpmyadmin where the default username is root with no password.
PART II- Making your WAMP server to host your website worldwide. (Coming Soon)